Yupa's Weapon Review
Version 1.2, January 25, 2003
- Added more junk!
- Let's face it....weapons are cool. Nothing better than getting some
really powerful, or conceptually cool weapon. I'm throwing this together
real quick just to give a brief overview of what sorts of weapons are
pretty good, what's mediocre, and what's probably better to avoid (It is, of
course, pretty subjective, so you might think differently than me.)
- One of the reasons I make this, is so that newer players can get a feeling
of what's out there, in terms of weaponry. I had no idea when I first started,
what would be considered good or not. I've probably foolishly traded or lost
quite a few top notch items, because I didn't really understand how good it
was or the effort involved in getting it.
- I'm also going to be dealing with 3-attack weapons only, at least for the
time being. If there's enough interest, and if I have the time, I might eventually
expand to other equipment types as well.
- Also, for the most part, there are almost no 3-attack weapons that are usable for
dual players anymore, so don't be expecting to get something on this list and use it
right away if you're new. Aside from old weapons (getting rarer and rarer these days,
there's only a handful dual-usable 3-hitters I can think of, and most aren't that hot
to begin with.
- Finally....I'm not going to be listing stats. Half the fun is finding out
for yourself. Besides, I'm lazy, and it would make this file way too big if I
did. Get off your ass and find out for yourself!
- I'm listing these separately, mainly in consideration of the Assassin class.
Pierce/Stab/Bite/Cut weapons are pretty much the only weapons that the Assassin
can equip. I'm listing Bite/Cut separately, for reasons that should be obvious (if
not, check it out).
- Scythe of the Grim Reaper - From Pentara, defeat the Reaper himself for it.
This weapon has good damage dice, and the HR/DR is cumulatively the highest
I can think of. Repair often though.
- Stormbringer - Elric, in Melnibone has it. I think it's got decent dice,
and provides HR/HP for the wielder. Has a nice proc that it can suck Con from
your foes if you PK. Cool in that respect, a must-have for PK players.
- Crystal of Light - Survive Canals for this. Magical item, so I dunno the
damage dice. HR/DR is ok, but not super great. The nice thing about the
CoL however, is that it's the only weapon that can SMITE. COLs also have some
- Samurai Sword - Krandon's Point. Conceptually cool, if you ask me. Damage dice
aren't as nice as a scythe (just 1 less though, no big), but the HR/DR is comparable.
Plus, it just looks so dang cool!
- Ice Axe - Scott Fisher, Mt. Everest. Basically, this is an Infinity Axe
with the Pierce attack type. Nice dice, good HR/DR, plus Wield/Holdable.
You don't see many of these though, not many people do Everest.
- Shadowdancer - The one from Calandra, not the 2-hitter. The Calandra
Shadowdancer is Armor and HR (maybe DR?), on par with Metallic Arm stats.
Very nice piece.
- Sawtooth Dagger - from Castle Northwind. Fairly decent dice, ok HR/DR. Pretty
much one of the easier upper tier weapons to get, so long as you know the zone.
- Destroyer Class Vibrator - Heh, you look like some kinda fruit using this!
Despite that, it's got nice damage dice, though the HR/DR isn't super great.
From Playboy Mansion.
- Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat Claws - Long name, cool if you're a Calvin and
Hobbes fan and you catch the reference. Decent enough dice, so-so HR/DR.
From Washington DC.
- laser scalpel - Kinda middle-of-the-road damage dice, but HR/DR is comparable
with the upper tier stuff. The Cyber-Doc in Rifts has it.
- Blackjack - This is also from Pentara, same place you get the Scythe from.
I think it's a decent enough weapon.
- Ace of Spades - Neat name. Dice similar to scalpel, but the DR/HR ain't as
hot. From Nerds, Doofus McGillicuty.
- Spear of the Underworld - Everyone used to have one of these. Dunno how much
it's changed lately, but it's a fairly decent weapon.
- Pitchfork - From Gummi Glen. Dice like a scalpel, but not the HR/DR.
- The Trident of Iscariot, Bringer of Death - Once considered a good weapon,
it pales in comparison to newer things. Kinda crappy dice, low HR/DR. Had
some nice affects on it though. The Spirit in Marsh has it. He acids, watch
- black dagger - It's the only dual 3-hitter around these days. That doesn't
mean it's necessarily good though; weak damage dice might make you consider
running a strong 2-hitter instead.
- Joker's Feather - From The Joker, in Gotham City. I pretty much never see
these around anymore....I don't think it was particularly good, except it
might have had some good affects.
- Bite is cool, in the fact that it does Piercing-type attacks (so Assassins
can use!), but it doesn't glance off resist-pierce items! This makes bite
weapons highly prized by Assassins....it's also much harder to find Bite
- Cut weapons work in almost the same respect....Resist pierce is nothing against
cut. Assassins can lunge and assassinate with a cut-type weapon, but are
unable to perform other attacks such as backstab.
- A Metallic Arm - From Spiderman. It's a PK weapon though. But it's got
nice Armor on it, making it both a good weapon in general and a great one
- Decapitated Head of Tapis, the Tiamat - From Tap, the tap mob (duh). In
general, this is a more accessible weapon than the Arm. Fairly good stats,
and since it isn't PK-only, is more versatile.
- Yashin - Kyuden Bayushi. This is another PK-only weapon, which limits its
use by others. Still, decent enough stats on it.
- a Thick Lens with Sharp Edges - Robotics Factory. The only 3-attack cut weapon
that I can think of, this thing's pretty darn cool. Average stats, nice charbits,
and it's also dual-usable! Granted, the min. level is high dual, but....
- Veleprocation Crystal - Velusian Palace. Stats are ok, makes a good weapon
to keep in the event of Resist-Pierce occasions.
- Paintbrush - Ea, in Gilgamesh. Probably the weakest of all Bite weapons,
but still, bite is better than pierce in those Resist-Pierce situations.
Weapons (Slash, Hit, Blast, Pound, Claw, etc)
- Now, for the rest of the stuff. These are the weapons that Blademasters,
Avatars, and Heroes can use.
- Gold Hilted Sword - King Peter in Narnia possesses the famed Gold Hilted
Sword. Considered by many to be one of the better weapons in the game. It's
magical, but it seems that the damage dice is quite high.
- A Jedi Lightsaber - Luke in Star Wars. Conceptually cool, if you're a SW
geek or general Sci-Fi fan. Nice dice, good enough HR/DR, and it's also
wield/holdable, so you can bust out your Anakin-Episode2-style-double-
- A Tridactyl Claw - Ramoth, Benden Weyr. Hits fairly hard, nice HR/DR.
Has a nifty name too.
- Sceptre of Hearts - The Queen of Hearts, Malice. Nice Damage dice, but the
HR/DR ain't as nice as most weapons. Still, it hits like a ton of bricks.
- Crescent Moon Rod - Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon. Good dice, good HR/DR. I tend
not to use it as much as possible, mainly cause I'm not a Sailor Moon fan
and it sounds too fruity to me. Still though, it's a solid weapon so long
as the name doesn't bother you.
- Axe of the Negative Infinity - Silicon Nightmare. Good dice, Good HR/DR.
Wield/Holdable. Very nice.
- The Burner - Weapon, Earth Prime. Dice are in the average 6D6 range, from
what I can tell. Good HR/DR though, so despite the mediocre damage it ranks
fairly well. Wield/Holdable, in case you want to bust out the Gun-in-each-
hand John Woo style.
- Itsuwari - Bayushi Shoju, Kyuden Bayushi. Average dice. Decent Armor though,
so it's a good poor-man's Metallic Arm for non-Assassins. :P Besides which,
I place it fairly well on the concept scale cause there aren't that many
katana-style swords in the game.
- Soul Clash, The Battle Axe of Shodas - LOEC. Average Dice, ok HR/DR.
Nothing spectacular. Not bad either.
- Leonardo's Unmerciful Blade - from TMNT. I forget offhand, I suppose it's decent
though the min level is high advanced.
- Illumina Sword - Kefka, Narshe. This isn't really a great weapon, average
dice and fairly low HR/DR. Still though, it's relatively easy to get, and
is a good starting advanced weapon if you don't have any better.
- Black Scimitar - It has good damage dice, and decent HR/DR. So why is it
Bottom Tier? Mainly cause it's an Auto-Hit weapon, which mean's when you
wield it, you'll attack any mobs. Fidos, the blacksmith, Dredd. Seriously,
this weapon has some practical applications in certain zones, but isn't
something you want to be wielding for everyday use.
- Nunchaku - Buy it in FF8. It's a no-rent weapon, that isn't particularly
good by any means. Still, buying a few to stock in your Cdon room would
probably help someone who needs a temp weapon (like if they need to kill
something to get their corpse back).
Special - 4-Attack Weapons
- I list this separately...obviously cause they're not 3-hitters....but also cause
there's only really 3 4-attack weapons that I know of, and I'm too lazy to make a
2nd file just for 3 items. Aside from tooth, the others are basically unobtainable
now, though I suppose anything is possible. Still, we're talking major deaths
and worse here. You'll probably lose more than you could gain.
- Tyrannosaurus rex tooth - Trex, Jurassic
- Sword of Souls - Evil Soul, African Plains.
- Shotokan Sword - Grandfather, Shotokan Monastary
There's more I'm missing, no doubt. I'm just writing what
I know for the time being. I find more, I'll update....
Was this file even worth my time and effort? Lemme know.
I'll consider making this into a series and branching into
different EQ types, if there's enough interest and I get